Monday, February 4, 2008

Caveman!

If you don't know who I'm talking about, it's Xterra World Champion Conrad Stoltz. Former Olympic Triathlon athlete in 2000 (Sydney, Aus) and 2004 ( Athens, Greece). He spoke for an hour at B & L in San Diego about everything from where and how he got started to what he's doing this year. I try to go listen to every pro I can since you can ALWAYS learn something from someone who's been where you want to go. Bob Babbitt, publisher of Competitor Magazine, did the interviewing and Conrad stuck around afterwards and signed autographs and chatted with you if you liked. H esigned a promo card for me and gave me some advice about how to pace yourself at Xterra Nationals in Tahoe (or at any altitude race, really). Here's Conrad and Babbitt chatting:


That's no illusion: he realy is THAT tall! He was nice enough to pose with me for a picture and I'll upload it as soon as I get it from my coach, who took it. I even got a cool MTB video and some gloves from the Specialized big wigs that were there. Conrad mentioned he'd be riding a 29'er next year (!!) on a new frame that resembles the Stumpjuper, only in super light carbon, He also talked about how his the carbon on his current Epic is so thin, it'll "give" when you squeeze it; wicked! He also gave us a few other tips that I won't share; if you want cool tips, show up next time!

Saturday I stood on a corner for 9 hours directing traffic for UCSD Cycling's road race (Boulevard) in the feezing cold. I did see Tom there and met Craig from a GPS-geek website we both belong to. Walsh and Vance bagged it and stayed home; wimps...Then I spent all day Sunday working on a paper and P-Chem homework. I didn't get any training in this weekend and felt really sh!tty about that fact. Let's hope it doesn't bite me in the a$$ later in the season.

I'll post the pic of me and Conrad as soon as I get it.

Rock out with yer c*ck out.

E

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting me. It was good to meet you. Conrad

Zippy said...

The pleasure was all mine, Conrad. Every time I meet a Pro athlete that's humble and thankful to be doing what they do it makes me glad to support the sport of Triathlon.