Monday, June 23, 2008

Deep Thoughts

A few notable passinggs this weekend. The one you've likely heard of is that George Carlin passed away from heart failure. If you're not familiar with his comdey, I highly recommend you check it out. Low-brow humor for sure, but edgy and thought provokin for sure. A man with the courage to criticize society; saying things many of us think about saying, but lack the courage to do so.

Additionally, NHRA drag racer Scott Kalitta died in a crash during competition. Sad to see that happen. I'm not a huge drag racing fan, but I've seen many races on TV and been to a few races in person. Enough to be familiar with the racers and feel saddened by Scott's passing.

As or me, I'm still struggling with working full-time and squeezing in all my training around work. How folks like Seth Wealing or Tom Evans (IM CDA winner on Sunday) hold down careers (Seth is an Architect and Tom a Dentist) and still train and compete at the Professional level amazes me.

A friend of mine once said: "Eric, it's is all about desire. If you want something bad enough, you'll find the money or the time or both to make it happen". He wasn't talking about racing, but his words definitely apply. I think it's good advice.

E.

1 comment:

barndog said...

yeah when people die, it just reminds us we will too. and that sucks. as far as those pros who have careers, i have a feeling they just don't work.