Friday, June 26, 2009

Rolling with the Punches

I've been getting a lot of crap for being myself recently and it's been getting me down: graduation petition denied so I get to come back for Fall Quarter, financial aid is maxed out so I won't get anymore, got pushed by a Grad Committee member and told her off so now I get to meet with the Dean for a "Non-Academic Misconduct" wrist slap (roll eyes) and my disability claim got denied (State Employees don't pay into Disability Insurance). Stop the World; I want OFF!

At least I got to see "Best Friend" Alex who came down for Graduation. We've been friends since we were 11.

Baller pose... I had an athlete racing the 12-Hours of Rim Nordic this past weekend and I needed to get away for a while, so Holly and I packed up her Matrix and headed for the mountains. A little camping always makes me feel better.The crappy part was the 200 Off-Roaders occupying the majority of the parking lot. Between their RV's, generators and exhaust from their Jeeps, I wonder how many TONS fo CO2 they pumped into the air that weekend. Yay pollution!
Our fantastic campsite on the pavement. We had a lttle fire in the 'que to roast marshmallows and for warmth (got cold!) and the next morning one of the OHV'ers hassled me for it: "That's an illegal fire", "Nothing's allowed up here but propane", "I'm just telling you because Forest Service will cite you for it". Tool...

I was in the middle of breakfast and didnt want to argue with him, or mention tthat he 2003 Clear Fire that decimated the area was started by a hot catalytic converter on an OFF ROAD vehicle. Holly's comment as he walked away was priceless: "That's great...go destroy some nature." Love that girl...

My athlete (Mykyta) killed it for his first 12-Hour solo: 5th in Beginner with very little rest and just starting his training up after his mid-season break. He should do really well at the November race. Results here.

No race pics, but the clouds looked cool as they rolled in over the mountains Saturday night. Snow Valley usd to be the site for an Xterra Race; not this year because the race director ran into some "financial difficulties" as he called it. Hope it comes back for 2010.Woke up Sunday morning with the sun. Drove down to OC for Father's Day lunch with my family since brother Steve was in town to celebrate his birthday at Disneyland the following Monday (free admission on your b-day!). The marine layer looked cool on the way down.

The hand is getting better, slowly. Another 2 weeks before I can swim or ride a bike. Trying to find some office work at the Bike Shop or State Parks to pay the bills.

Keep on keepin' on...

E.

Edit: I've been following the Tour Divide pretty closely since I'm sitting at home so much. Self-supported, 2700 miles from Banff, Alberta Canada to Antelope Wells, NM on the Mexican Border. Incredible stuff!

3 comments:

Pedal Circles said...

I am not following the race really closely - but totally cool stuff! Lots of pavement/fire roads, but still an amazing journey.

Hope things turn up for you soon!

Luke said...

you'll be back at is soon bro! too bad you didn't sign up for IMSG...then you'd really have something to look forward to! ;)

Jeff D. said...

I definitely saw you at the 12-Hour! Didn't recognize you though. I parked near your campsite later in the afternoon in a yellow pickup truck with a camper shell, I remember seeing your little setup and BBQ/stove. Needless to say I was the guy with a cast on...

Next time I'll say hi, seeing as we've never formally met. I can't tell if going to these races gets me pumped or drags me down. A little of both I guess.