Saturday, April 10, 2010

All Work and no Play...

...makes "Zippy" not so zippy.



Spring sprung and with it a huge increase in my working hours. Getting paid is nice, but I'd rather be training. As awesome as it is working at the beach, a lifeguard tower or a Jeep start looking like a prison midway through the week.



I took this photo using the timer on my camera. Notice all the people in my water... Tower 15 at Cardiff is there for a very good reason, there's a stationary rip current right where the reef ends and it manages to snag a few people every day. I'm partially blocking the rip in the photo. Notice where the waves aren't breaking? That's where the rip is.

I tried to take some video of the rip, but it didn't come out so great. Basically, if the water's choppy and flowing AWAY from shore, stay out of that area.









As diligent and as fast as lifeguards are, sometimes we can't save someone.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/21/search-continues-for-man-feared-drowned-at-torrey/

I drove down from Cardiff as fast as I could when the call came in, got into the water and assiste dinthe search until the Permanent Lifeguards pulled us out of the water due to darkness. Neither of the two victims knew how to swim and we're still not sure why the girl went into the water to begin with. I've been told there's video and that it's hard to watch...


...I have no desire to see it.

Sorry for the downer post. Jeeze!

Here's Oolong the rabbit that balances things on his head. Whee!

On the training front, things have been hit or miss. I'm sneaking in workouts around my haphazard work schedule and fully maximizing the 30-minute workout. I'm doing what I can and hoping the huge base I built back in February will carry me through Xterra Vegas.

Assuming I can scrape the cash together to pay for the trip. Yeesh!

E.

1 comment:

allison said...

Thanks for the SS ride yesterday. Wish I had the motivation to get out today :)

I don't know what else to say so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head!