Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Basic

For those of you who weren't aware, I've been sequestered in Monterey since October training for a new job with State Parks. Last Thursday (4/7) we graduated from the po-po phase of training and moved into the interpretive portion. If things all go well, I should be "home" May 20th. Home is in quotes because I'll be incredibly busy with field training for another 12 weeks though I'll by physically home, I won't be relaxing as field training is the make-or-break part.

I've been assigned to Crystal Cove State Park and, though I've been there before, I took advantage of the 3-day weekend and paid my new park a visit.



You're jealous...I know.

Part of interpretive training requires us to create and present a 20-minute talk or campfire program and I was in the park taking photos for that. Alas, I didn't take many pictures of the back country since it was closed due to some heavy rains we got that weekend. Holly and I lucked out and scored a rad day, though. Suffice to say there are almost 2500 acres in the back country, and most of you in So Cal are familiar with the trails in "El Moro". That's my park. Training opportunities? Oh yeah! I'm pretty sure it's practically Slater's back yard.

Coincidentally, lots of people get married in the CC historic district because, well...it's pretty! Hey, Holly and I are looking for a wedding site...


Not bad, right? It's got an awesome view of Catalina Island.


We're still deciding, but this one goes on the list for sure.

Training and racing are on the back burner for now. I'm still getting out whenever I can and racing when the opportunity presents itself, but securing a career for the next 30 years of my life needs to take priority over "hobbies" at the moment. It kills me watching all my crazy friends win races left and right, but I gotta finish this chapter of my life off before I add multi-sport back into the mix. Can't wait to get back to training and racing at the level I enjoy.

I squeezed in Xterra REAL at the end of March and pulled of a halfway decent result considering the lack of training I've been getting in. Results here. A muddy mess for sure, but I pulled off 7th AG and 20th OA. First tri of the season under the belt; onward and upward from here. Photos here (1)(2). I'm not going into a full race report because this post is getting too long, but I'll sum it up:

The water was SUPER cold (48.5) and swimming in water that cold sucks. The bike and run were so muddy my bike is still acting funny, my clothes still have mud in them and I had to retire my running shoes. I raced on a shoddy base and I could tell the top-end wasn't there. I gave what I had, but yearned for the days when I had more to give. A little disappointing.

More "Death by Power Point" this week and next as my enginerd friends call it. Hopefully, I'll have more time to check in from now on.

Cheers.

E.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

48.5...oooooooh my goodness that is cold!

Glad you are closer to home and enjoying Slater's backyard :)

allison said...

Reads like things are going really well, if not busy. Keep it up - sports will always be there!

Zippy said...

Steph - Perhaps I was unclear, I'm not coming home until May 20th.