Sunday, April 24, 2011

Re-Birth?

I'm putting together a presentation for work and I needed some plant/nature photos. I put out the call for help to the online community last week, but using my own shots feels better than getting them off the web. The photographers that I've been working with have been more than generous with their time and property rights. Thanks to everyone that's been helping me out.

I was able to re-hab the MTB from last month's race (braks pads F and R, F brake bleed cleaning etc) and decided to grab the camera and see what I could do on my own. It's been beautiful in Monterey all week and I woke up Sunday morning to cold temps, wind and light drizzle. Great. Nothing for it but grab a jacket and HTFU. 

Lucky for me, the recent rain meant tacky trails (woot!) and flowers blooming everywhere. I spent quite a bit of time snapping pics and just enjoying being out on the dirt after way too long of a lay-off.

 
Black Sage (Salvia mellifera). This stuff was going CRAZY.
California Buckwheat (Eriogonum fasciculatum)...I think. Feel free to correct me if I have the plants wrong.
There were entire hillsides absolutely covered in these purple flowers. No idea what they are, though.
Poison Oak! (Toxicodendron diversilobum). The water on the leaves is from the rain Tons of this stuff all over the place as well. Some of it growing right next to and even reaching out over the trail itself with leaves as big as the palm of my hand. Crossing my fingers and hoping I don't get a reaction. There's so much of it up here, I'm thinking of buying some PO soap just as a precaution. Yuck.
Overcast, windy and rainy all day, but I didn't care I was so glad to be out riding. I started from the west end of Fort Ord, hooked up with the Sea Otter Cat 1 course, did a loop and headed back. Lost some data, but probably 30+ miles and about 3:20 or so with all the stops. No hurry, just chillin'.

 
I was so blow away by how green everything was. I've been locked up in my room for so long that I totally missed the transition from Winter to Spring. Well Spring is here with a vengeance and I'm going to make sure I get out and start enjoying it!
Black Sage blooming all over the place. Crazy!

That's it for now. One more week of interpretive training complete with a test and 20 minute presentation, followed by 3 weeks of first aid and rifle training (woot!) and then 2-weeks of VACATION! I can't wait.

E.

No comments: