Thursday, January 3, 2008

Happy New Year!!

I've been spending the Holidays at Mom and Dad's in Orange County, CA. As much as I LOVE Mom's cooking (Italian and Hungarian heritage) staying here presents unique training challenges since I can't use my favorite routes for running and cycling and I'm using the pool my g/f works at, which is free but an hour drive. The sacrifices we make...

I went with my Dad to the Richard Nixon Library and Birthplace, which turned out to be very interesting. I knew he had been a very influential Politician and President, but I was shocked to find out how much of our current policies were his ideas. Simply an amazing man.

As for my training, my swimming is really starting to come along. I'm still agonizingly slow, but my technique is starting to look much better, my "feel"is coming around, my left turn is gone and I think I'm going to be MUCH faster once my muscles get used to the new stroke. SWEET!

Christmas - I got a couple really cool gifts that I'm goin to ber getting a lot of use out of. My g/f's parent's got me a swim workout book so I don't have to make up my own workouts any more. That should save me some time. Mom and Dad gave me a new MP3 player with 2 gigs of music: enough for 15 HOURS of music. My last one only held 3 hours of music, the new one will be much better for rides longer than 3 hours. The gold medal for the best Xmas gift goes to my g/f, who gave me a body fat scale. Now I can keep an eye on my body composition and lean myself out. Less fat = free speed.

On a non training note, I got tapped for Jury Duty last week. The "new" method allows you to call in instead of showing up and sitting at the courthouse all day, but you have to call in for a WEEK! I'm not sure that the new method is any better than the old one...

I'll be heading back to San Diego tomorrow afternoon and getting back to the chaos of juggling school and training. Suck.

Happy Stuff!! My younger sister got engaged! She and her b/f have been together for several years and own a condo. We knew they'd get married eventually, but it's nice to see her so happy and excited.

See ya.
E

No comments: