Sunday, November 2, 2008

Good news, bad news

Good news:
I got mail fram the State Parks this weekend: they sent me my background packet and notified me that I'm scheduled for the physical agility.

Bad news:
It's in two weeks in Ventura and there's a 1000 yard open ocean swim. Expected water temps are in the high 50's...very Tahoe-like. Add in that I've not been training for a while thanks to my calf injury and making the 20-minute time cutoff now becomes an issue. Time to get my happy a$$ in the pool.

Saturday I headed out to Vail Lake for some laps with Luke and recent AZ transplant Chris. The calf held up well though the rest of me didn't. I made it two laps trying to hang with the boys and had to let them go play for 30 minutes while I collected myself. After that I was better, but it's clear my fitness is nowhere near where it was. Time to go back to basics.

Today I hit up the local trails for an easy recovery spin from yesterday's beat-down and things are feeling better. I'm going to try some light training next week and see how the calf holds up.

I might be starting a new job next week. I'll talk more about it once it's finalized, but I kinda talked my way into it. Dad always said it's not so much what you know as who you know. True dat.

No comments: