Monday, August 10, 2009

The Best Laid Schemes of Mice and Men...

...go often askew.

I got some unofficial news this week that the Academy for Lifeguard/Peace Officer scheduled to start in October has been cancelled and might start up in January. Considering the current state of California's economy, I'm not holding my breath.

This is good news/bad news for me: it looks like I'll be able to finish my degree after all (YAY!), but that Holly and I have to suffer through some more financial hardship (boo).

It also means I get one last chance at whooping up on some college kids on the collegiate MTB circuit (tee hee!). That means I'm scrapping the 50K plans. I'm disappointed since it's on my "bucket list", but the strain training for the race and lifeguarding puts on my previously injured soleus worries me. It's not injury pain, but it's definitely tight, painful in the mornings and takes a while to warm up during training.

I've been jonesin' for some MTB love for quite a while and putting it off in favor of run training; getting back on the bike will definitely make me a lot happier.

So life now looks like:
Sept-Dec:
-Finish BioChem degree
-Race collegiate MTB

November:
-apply for PA school (in case State Jobbie gets put off until next year)

Jan:
-take last pre-reqs for PA school at Community College OR
-Begin State Peace Officer academy

Meanwhile, I'm spending lots of time in the ocean learning how to surf (also on my bucket list) and working my butt off lifeguarding for the State. No major worries, really.

E.